Tuesday 4 January 2011

Thank the heavens for that!

I had hoped I would finish the kimono cardigan yesterday. However, on Sunday night I noticed the disturbing vision of my unplucked eyebrows (I still haven't brushed my hair since December 28th, although I have washed it... once...), and immediately after dealing with those, I noticed the state of uncleanliness in my house (no, not because my eyebrows had previously blinkered me, although that would have been cool!). So I spent the penultimate day of my holiday, a typically cold and miserable bank holiday Monday, half-cleaning and half chilling (in both senses) beneath a blanket on the sofa. I also finally cooked up my own turkey and trimmings, which I'd been putting on hold until I'd finished everyone else's leftovers.

I didn't, therefore, get properly started on the knitting until Stargazing Live. So far, in the past month thanks to the impressively thick and persistent cloud cover over this part of the world, which doesn't seem to feature on any Met office account of the weather (definition of a weather forecaster: idiot who can't look out windows), I have missed: a lunar eclipse, a partial solar eclipse, a meteor shower and the conjunction of Jupiter and Uranus. I can't wait to discover what heavenly wonders I won't get to see for the next two nights! I did make the decision that, instead of a Nativity scene, for December 2012 I am going to knit the little Mayan month glyphs and have them dance in a circle around a knitted Professor Brian Cox being tortured on the rack whilst wearing a T-shirt saying "Science Rules, OK!" - I figure it may be the only way to appease the Mayan gods and prevent the impending doom of the total solar system conjunction. Of course, when it's successful, scientists will claim it had nothing to do with my coincidental knits, because they are arrogant like that...

In the meantime, however, I still have four projects to finish in the here and now. But the most excellent news is, the upper body of the Kimono is, at long bloody last, finished!!

Just the tie-trim to go - 26 stitches in simple rib for... 56 inches... [sigh] I wonder if the creation of the Large Hadron Collider seemed as long winded as this - an initially good idea which takes too bloody long to realise! Still, when the LHC has long since stopped communicating with aliens, allowing us to travel through time, and melting all the chocolate factories in Switzerland (I shall miss Lindt), hopefully my kimono cardigan will still be going... It bloody better be!

No comments:

Post a Comment