Wednesday 19 January 2011

Just bad trends...

Knitting has been a bit minimal lately (illness/tiredness/distractions). I'm now seven rows into a new jumper which I'm hoping will use up my left over lighter pink from the recent Kimono. I'm aiming for this from the Glam Knits book:

So expect something completely different to result.

I'm also a couple more leaves nearer to completion on the grey dress - only half a woolly woodland left to go!

Today Olive 'the best tea lady in the world' at work bought in a collection of books she was hoping to sell off for charity - £1 a book. I wouldn't normally be bothered, but Pip in my department came running over with an absolute classic, and I've spent the past half hour admiring pictures of old 80s celebrities in some of the best/worst knitwear of the era, including the delightful Paul Nicholas, whom I remember not just from the brilliant Just Good Friends, but also from going to see him in The Pirates of Penzance in Southampton when his fame was at its 80s peak! And henceforth loved Gilbert and Sullivan. Having looked him up today, it turns out he is still appearing in Pirates of Penzance! Not sure if it's in the same role though...

Anyway, the book is called Knitting Wildlife, and also stars Kim Wilde, Mike Rutherford (and family), Elizabeth Hurley and Michael Palin to name but a few.

I'll try and share some inside pictures soon. You might wonder why I would waste a whole pound on a book of oversized jumpers with pictures of animals on them that I'll probably never knit, but actually there is one dress, modelled by Marie Helvin (NOT the one on the cover) which is really quite nice. Probably minus the fish swimming all over it, but still it's a great shape, so I figured it was worth a charitable donation just for that.

Of course, that doesn't explain why I then also bought the other book: The Edina Ronay Collection... Maybe you can have too many Eighties knitting books after all...?


Actually, when I consider what I'm (very slowly) doing to that grey dress, I don't know how I can really criticise 80s knitwear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment