Monday 13 December 2010

Recycle-balls


Lots of craft projects planned for the Christmas holidays; shouldn't expect I'll actually get any of them done though! I still have two Christmas scarves to complete, hopefully by this Christmas. I'm also keen to get working on some cushion covers - probably material patchwork jobs, rather than knitting. Plus I have the embroidered dress to finish - I haven't forgotten.

I've now started on something new - a recycling project. I'm unpicking some old jumpers I know longer wear or fit into, so that I can start remaking them into jumpers I will wear, starting with this brown sweater:

I brought it more than a decade ago from La Redoute in the days when I had a nice flat tummy and a hooked-up front jumper could potentially still look sexy. In truth, I think I wore it no more than twice. And since I am now none too slim in the abs, the chances of ever wearing it again are... well, slim to none... So I am currently, and very slowly, unpicking it and re-balling it. I've already started it on its next lease of life too:

It's from the Phildar Winter no9 collection. Simple(ish) enough, expect for one slight problem... This particular pattern book was accidentally sent to me in French, and despite my basic conversational skills and my very poor A level grade, I confess le langue de knitting is a little bit beyond me; the French-English-French dictionary has had it's first proper outing in about 15 years! And even that's not entirely helping... But I am learning some new words and discovering the art of trial and error (or knit, review, unpick...).

It's an interesting one this - two different sets of needles, constantly being swapped, so that it looks like a sideways rib stitch. At least the 'back' is easy enough to work out the instructions to; the 'front' may be a little more of a linguistic challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment