Sunday 5 December 2010

Let's get critical, critical...

I wanna get Criticaaal. Let's get 80s critical... :) Thanks O-NJ.

Anyway, it's nearly Christmas, which is the time of the dodgy knit. This time last year I was trying to work out if my Nan's old knitting machine could be the start of a cottage industry in dodgy jumpers so that, by this Christmas, I'd be a millionaire... Hasn't quite worked out like that, but it has led to a year-long hobby that I'm still enjoying. Today, my mum dropped over some old patterns for me that she wanted to get rid of - early 80s collections from Creative Knitting. I started off flicking through this with medium interest and mild disappointment - it is an impressive compendium of stitch and knitting techniques, great for designing your own pieces, but... it's from the 80s! The decade that taste forgot!! Don't believe me...?

Welcome to Top of the Knots (nots...)

That's right stitch pickers, it's time to take a look at the top ten worse knits of the decade:

At number 10:



It's 'snow' joke with this plain jumper with looped cable patches (why...??!)







At number 9:
A Christmas classic: soft jersey with silver stars










At number 8:
Chunky jacket with a geometric design










At number 7:

Fluffy jersey with a floral theme










At number 6:
Oh dear... it's two colour ribbed cable jersey











At number 5:
Stripped cardigan with embroidered lines (and an hideous dress sense!!)









At number 4:
Oh lord, not more flowers with rose jersey










At number 3:
Now I know why blue and green should never be seen - cardigan with cable squares










At number 2:
What is it with flower motifs? Here's Alpine flowers










And finally, at number 1:

Flowers eat your heart out! It's time for the entire garden with this picture jersey!!










However... Not all the patterns are that ugly, and it's surprising just how many of them are similar to ones I've been admiring in Phildar, Drops and other slightly more modern and stylish selections.






So maybe they're not all hideously useless after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment