Monday 18 April 2011

Knitting Book Reviews (in pictures): Knitting It Old School - 43 Vintage-Inspired Patterns

Now, from the outside, Knitting It old School: 43 Vintage-Inspired Patterns by Stitchy McYarnPants (apparently) and Caro Sheridan looked like exactly what it says it is: vintage-inspired knitting patterns. Two things, however, disappointed me about this book: first, some of the patterns are actually crochet, not knitting (and there's even a sewing pattern in there too!); and secondly, their definition of 'vintage' is not always the same as mine. For me, vintage knitting is 1920s-50s. I can see that 60s and 70s might now be considered 'vintage' in the clothes stakes, but as I still dress in 60s-70s stuff, it isn't to me! Having said all that, there are 43 patterns in this book, which is a good load, and there are some really great pieces in the collections (I'm especially keen on the Star Trek style jumper, which also has a female knit version in the book), so this is still a book worth getting, if you're into (sort of) vintage with modern twists (click pics for larger images):







No comments:

Post a Comment