Friday 20 May 2011

Loose your disillusion...

I had to put the knitting down for a bit, despite being on a tight schedule, as I was growing a little disillusioned with a particular project - namely the second tie for my dad's 60th (and distracted by my iPad). I had hoped to be really clever and make the whole thing on the knitting machine, until I realised I wasn't able to reduce rows yet - I haven't reached that far in my education. Over-enthusiasm getting the better of me, I still decided to knit the back half on the machine, as it's just a straight strip, and I hand knitted the front piece. The embroidery hasn't been working out though - trying to recreate the four Beatles in 'Help!' pose is not easy with 3ply wool. I'm also really struggling with the backing material, as the only suitable colour I had was black - from an old, damaged pair of trousers. It's thicker material than that used with the Yellow Sub tie, and is causing me a lot of grief... I'm in two minds whether to quit while I'm ahead and just try and buy an alternative, but as I've yet to settle the previously mentioned dispute with the other online vendor... It's all a bit exasperating!

On the slightly more plus side, the gift bag is coming along OK. I began the embroidery before taking a break:

and carried on working on it in the last couple of exam invigilation sessions, including yesterday morning, when I spent my birthday in a packed room full of miserably concentrating students! And today I finished it all off, to this:

Am now arguing with myself over whether or not to do a material lining or a knitted patch behind the embroidery...? Hopefully the handles will be machine knitted, and then I'm nearly there... Less than two weeks to go!

Knitting-related birthday presents were:

Two new books: Brave New Knits (dad) and New England Knits (mum); a French knitting dolly and some pale pink fluffy wool (sister); and some bright pink wool from my Nan! My mum seemed to think it was awful, but I think there are a couple of patterns I could knit with it - any wool is useable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment