Saturday 7 May 2011

A little success...

Lining the Yellow Submarine tie has really helped to flatten it out. I did try crocheting the edges, but that didn't help at all - stocking stitch just insists on curling! I took quite a bit of yesterday afternoon and most of this morning, but this tie is finally complete:


Even though my sewing job is a bit rubbish, I'm still pretty impressed with the final result! :) Now I'm trying to decide whether to try a slightly different pattern for the second tie I need to complete over the next couple of weeks...

My BIG success last night was a return to the very beginning of this blog. A return to my Nanna's knitting machine. (That's the Transatlantic Sessions on TV.)

I decided not to be too clever yet, just to try knitting something in blocks. I attempted the e-cast on with no success, although I'm going to retry that over this weekend, as I've had a few thoughts on how I might be able to get it to work. Casting off was also a total disaster - it might well be possible, but the needles are so tiny and thin, it's just too fiddly! So I used a piece of thin wire with a bead on the end, with no apparent and obvious usage, from the bag of stuff that came with the machine to thread off the knitting, transferred the stitches to my smallest set of needles, and cast off by hand. Still fiddly and time consuming, but a bit more successful. Casting on and off definitely need more practice.

BUT, on the plus side, unlike my past attempts which failed fairly quickly to reach any great lengths, yesterday (perhaps by invoking the help of my late Nanna?) I completed three pieces of knitting, which will eventually become a gift bag as part of my dad's presents:


Sewing up in front of the football today...

No comments:

Post a Comment