Wednesday 18 August 2010

Knitting Machine part 2 (Epic FAIL!)

Day 2 of my attempts to master the knitting machine (well, it is raining outside on this fine August day!).

As the pink failed me yesterday, I decided to have a go with another leftover cone. And, why be boring? Why not try two?



Answer: because when I tried to swap between the two colours, it buggered everything up again!The brown wool broke, the blue wool got caught in the brush rollers... [*sigh*] Time to try something else.

So, undeterred, I referred back to the instruction book, written in clear 1960s English, and decided it might be fun to have a go at Fairisle...



That didn't work either, but it looked quite good while it was vaguely doing it's thing, and I learned a lot more about untangling the brush rollers and trying not to twist two yarns together... [*deeper sigh*]

Then I had a brainwave: maybe it wasn't me or the machine at all - maybe it was the wool? So i went into town and bought some 2ply patterned wool in the hope i might be able to make my dad a nice scarf using his mum's old machine. I won't bore you with more pictures, but you could probably hazard a guess at what happened... After a huge mound of tangled wool, I finally gave up, admitted defeat and sadly packed the machine away. Knitting machines are obviously not my thing. I asked dad if Nanna had ever got that frustrated with it and he said probably, but then she had lessons on how to use it. I don't think they still offer knitting machine lessons - certainly haven't seen any listed in the Adult Ed catalogue lately...

So it's back to needles and the hard graft for me. I did, however, get an invite to a knitting club when buying the wool and have plans to attend the next meeting...

No comments:

Post a Comment