Friday 6 July 2012

Tutti-Fruitti / Cushion Comfort...

While I choose to ignore the misery of the world and too much rain - which, despite falling incessantly, still hasn't washed the bird muck off my windows! - here's an update:

To use up some of my old, child-friendly scrap wool, I decided to knit another item for my impending niece/nephew - a housecoat type thing (it might have been a cardigan, but I ran out of wool at the sleeves... It's a baby! It'll never notice...):
It's a cream coloured wool which has always reminded me of tutti-fruitti ice cream because of the yellow, green, blue and red flecks. I thought I might be able to pull off a unisex pattern with it, but half way through my dad said it looked a bit "girlie". He might be right. I can't imagine most boys want to look like ice cream. But it's a baby! It can hate me later.




My other big project - using up the millions (minor hyperbole) of wool cones stashed in my bedroom, has taken a giant leap (definite hyperbole) forward with the completion of my cushion cover! All those cones of red wool I thought I'd be lucky to get a single hat made out of, then lucky to get one side of a 21x 21 inch cushion cover from... then realised I could have knitted an entire jumper from...!! Well, I managed to completely use up six cones in two days. That still leaves about four of various sizes and shades, plus a small 2ply ball, in red, but it's a pretty good start, and I have a rather comfortable (if I do say so myself) cushion cover to go over one of my torn, stained and generally rubbish lounge cushions (three more to go). I also used up one of the pack of 20 zips I bought years ago during a dressmaking phase that came to naught. It feels like progress! Comfortable, woolly progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment